There is something about having a meal at the mall after dark in Sydney or rather in Australia. Some people are ok with it but some just stay away from it. It might be the malls here close early so it is kind of weird to venture into an empty mall and into a restaurant. It is somewhat lacking in excitement or vibe or what is that word or phase for it? However, having dinner at a restaurant or cafe in a mall in Asia is a different story though. The malls or shopping centers close much later and many nice restaurants and cafes are usually in mall. And I reckon weather plays a big part as well. I am just going on and on and I am sure there are a zillion reasons….
As part of effort to boost and support the restaurants in Westfield Sydney, 7 restaurants (Spiedo Restaurant and Bar, Xanthi Restaurant and Bar, Chat Thai, Chinta Ria…Mood For Love, Cara & Co Restaurant and Quarter Twenty) are currently featuring $30 dining options and $10 valet parking, every Tuesday night from 5:30pm.
You can still enter Westfield from Pitt or Castlereigh Street after 6pm when the shops close and go up by the escalator. And you can get out from the Castlereigh floor on level 3.
I always wanted to try Xanthi so when the invitation came, it was my first choice! The Xanthi outfit has to be my favourite. I love the white and blue tiles on the exterior and then get transported when one enter into the restaurant. I love the lights, I love the layers of yellow gold cloth that drapes from the ceiling. You won’t notice that you are in a shopping mall once you get seated. And seriously, it is about the food right?
For $30 per person, I got to share a banquet of David Tserikas’ signature dishes including pork belly baklava, Greek salad, lamb skaras and caramel baklava. To start we were served a Greek salad. Simple, nicely cut tomatoes, cucumber, olives with lovely salty but not too salty feta and sprinkling of dried oregano.
The next dish tinkled my fancy. It was the infamous pork belly baklava. It was fatty pork belly wrapped in crispy thin filo and the sauce! It tasted sweet like prune or some sort of liqueur? And of course, the crispy crackling is to die for. I want more of the crackling….. please?
Mister was starting to wonder if he will be filled up as the portions were a tad small. But he changed his mind once a place of lamb skaras was placed in front of him. The lamb was very tender and just breaks apart when the fork is put to it. I love the nuggets of crispy and fluffy potatoes. And again, the sauce! The manager refused to tell me what is in it. It was well balanced and once of those sauce that you just want to lick your plate to get it all.
I wish I could I love the dessert which is caramel baklava. Don’t get me wrong though. It is good but being the “greedy” me, I wanted it to be as good as the lamb skaras. We still finish everything on the plate by the way…. LOL Maybe I wanted the caramel to be softer if that makes sense? I wanted more pistachio maybe.
I am going to take this opportunity to check out Mood for Love and Quarter Twenty One next! What will your pick be?
This is The Chef’s Club offering in a nutshell:
- Xanthi Restaurant and Bar – head to Xanthi and share a banquet of David Tserikas’ signature dishes including pork belly baklava, Greek salad, lamb skaras and caramel baklava for $30 per person. To book call 02 9232 8535 or email email@example.com.
- Spiedo Restaurant and Bar – go on a journey to Northern Italy and enjoy a shared pasta main matched with a bottle of wine During June, diners can enjoy pappardelle al tonno (pappardelle with cherry tomato, tuna and capers) as well as a bottle of Val Trompia Pinot Grigio for just $30 for two people. For bookings phone 02 8072 9999 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chat Thai – if you are in the mood for something sweet, then head to Chat Thai and for $30 enjoy a glass of Vasse Felix and a shared tasting plate of five awardwinning desserts, including Thai delights such black sticky rice with taro and warm coconut cream and house-made coconut ice cream. To book phone 02 9221 0600 or email email@example.com
- Chinta Ria…Mood For Love – let Sydney’s favourite Malaysian restaurateur, Simon Goh, get you in the mood with an indulgent three-course meal – your choice of entrée, main and dessert – for $30 per person. For bookings phone 02 8072 8888 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cara&Co Restaurant – the perfect food and fashion destination, come and enjoy a cocktail accompanied by a selection of canapés, followed by a signature main course created by Dave de Belder’s, Rock Flathead with cauliflower, peanut and gherkin for $30 per person. For bookings phone 02 9226 9988
- Quarter Twenty One – enjoy a different seasonal flavour each month as only Chef North does best. Entrees will change weekly to highlight the best in seasonal produce along with roast suckling pig main course and a glass of wine for only $30 per person. For enquiries or bookings phone 02 9283 3440 or email email@example.com