I wanted pistachios and not flaked almonds or cashew nuts. I said PISTACHIOS. Twice. I guess it was an early Saturday morning and the chick behind the counter was still half asleep. My heart was set on pistachios and it was too late once I got home and realised she has given me salted cashew nuts instead. Bummer! Or is my pronunciation or slang so bad that she could have mistaken pistachios and cashew nuts?
There is no turning back now. I can mix and match nuts and fruits and sweet liquids. It’s just like creating your own jewellery. So many options and it’s all about personal preference and style. It could be as healthy or as naughty as you want it to be. So with my first granola bar, I had to skew toward naughtiness. Naughtiness to me mean chocolate. As much as I love dark chocolate, I have an undeniable love for white.
- 250g of organic rolled oats
- 100g of flaked almonds
- 100g of sunflower seeds
- 100g of Pepita
- 150ml of maple syrup
- 100g of white chocolate bits
- 150g of dried cranberries
- 40g of butter
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 180C. Place oats, almond flakes, Pepita and sunflower seeds in a tray and toast them in oven for about 15mins. Stir around half way through so that all ingredients get toasty. Butter another pan for baking the bars in. Reduce oven to 150C
- In the meantime, place the maple syrup and butter into a small pan under a low heat. Stir till all butter has melted. Set aside
- Stir the toasted mixture into the sweet syrup and then pour into the baking tray. Add the dried cranberries and white chocolate bits. Press it down and evenly on the tray
- Place into the oven for about 25mins. Take it out and cool. Cut into bite size bars
So easy and so much fun. I will do it all over again in a heart beat. Hmmm…. what is your favourite combination? I might make an Asian inspired granola next! By the way, I found this post in draft from a couple of months ago. Why the hell is it doing in draft? Will I be able to dig out anymore treasures?