There are so many ideas and recipes from the cookbooks but I have opted for this simple strawberry granita from River Cafe Cookbook Easy by Rose Gray and Ruth Rogers. It was totally inspired by the heatwave that we were experiencing in Melbourne. After making the candy in 43.5C heat, this was the perfect cool down recipe.
This was the same strawberries that I bought over the weekend to make strawberry smoothie. They are naturally sweet. And the balsamic vinegar that I used was a 10 year old. It is a trick that I learnt while working at Lau’s. They seems to be the perfect partnership.
- 250g fresh strawberries
- 100g castor sugar
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice
- 1Tbsp of good and aged balsamic vinegar
- 25ml water
- Cut the strawberries and mix it through with 25g of sugar. Leave it aside for a couple of hours. It will turn really juicy and then smash it or blend it roughly with the lemon juice
- Make a sugar syrup with the water and 75g of sugar. Cool and add the vinegar
- Mix the rough blended strawberry mixture with the sugar syrup. Freeze in shallow container, stirring every 1/2hr or churn in a ice cream machine
- Once ready, serve it in a glass. Can garnish with more strawberries or mint
The house was very warm and so I had to work fast to take the photo before it all melted away. It looked a mountain of red crystals in the martini glass. It was deliciously cool and refreshing. I just wished I made more.
The rest of the cookbook challengers:
Rizka from ini, itu – Chopped fruit salad
Ange from Vicious Ange – Raspberry & strawberry smoothie; Frozen raspberry whip with strawberries
Anthea from What’s for Tea? – Raspberry scones; Grilled strawberries with Pimms
Kate from Something by Kate – Berry & yoghurt muffins
Shellie from Iron Chef Shellie – Eye fillet with raspberry sauce
Bri from Bri Eats – Berry sorbet
Agnes from Off the Spork – Blueberry & coconut muffins
Leigh from Chit Chat Chomp – Almond tart with blackberries; Cranberry & chocolate biscuits
Carolyn from Gluten Shmooten – Berry crumble
Yen from Food for Four – Strawberry tiramisu
Rilsta from My Food Trail – Strawberry frozen yoghurt
What is your favourite summer fruit?