If I was still in Melbourne, the scarfs, thick jackets and beanies will be out from storage. I am still really nice and comfy in T-shirts and a light jumper in Sydney. But the weather is gradually starting to turn. I can finally wear jeans out in comfort and wearing thongs out to the shops makes my toes cringe. This means it is time for more slow cooking and comfort food.
I’ve recently bought a bottle of super potent bottle of BBQ hot sauce from my colleague. He is a serious chilli eater and this sauce is the chilli bomb. It is recommended for all hardcore chilli lovers. The chilli heat lingers for a long time and a little dab is enough to make many grab for a glass of water. You need to be good at eating chilli and enduring chilli in a loving way.
The beef short ribs is from the Eveleigh farmers market and from From the Paddock. I think I have finally found my go to meat people in Sydney.
This dish is really simple to cook. It is a one pot goodness and make sure that a big pot is made so that there is leftovers.
The beef short ribs just fell apart when I lifted it out for the photo to be taken. I had a dab of the sauce and was in love. The heat was perfect and lingering. If you are using another brand of hot sauce, I will suggest doubling the amount. Taste and adjust accordingly.
- 1.2kg of beef ribs
- 200ml of red wine
- 50ml of white vinegar
- 50ml of BBQ hot sauce (Eastern Brown)
- 2tbsp of Worcester sauce
- 5tbsp brown sugar
- 2tbsp honey
- 250ml beef jus
- 3 garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 2tbsp of tomato paste
- 11/2tbsp liquid smoke
- Salt and pepper
The sauce is also really sticky from the sugar and honey. It has the right amount of tang from the white vinegar. I love using red wine because it adds more depth and you may also choose to marinate it with red wine overnight with the couple of bay leaves.
- Dust beef short ribs with seasoned flour. Heat the pan with olive oil or butter and brown the beef ribs on both side. Add the beef ribs into slow cooker.
- In the browning pan, add the red wine, white vinegar, sugar, honey, Worcester sauce, garlic, bay leaves, tomato paste and beef jus and allow it to cook for a 3 minutes. Taste and adjust accordingly. Pour this mixture into the slow cooker. Add the liquid smoke here and try and give it a little stir
- Slow cook it on high for 2 hours. Move meat around if required and then turn it to low and allow to cook for another 4 – 5 hours
- Taste, season and indulge
I had this for dinner and had it with a sweet potato, cauliflower and carrot mash with sauteed green beans on the side. This is what I call – Finger licking good!
If you love beef short ribs, you may also like to try cooking this beef short ribs dangmyeong.