It was the beginning of a round of heatwave and so something light and refreshing was welcomed. My food supply was running low so I worked with what I had at home. Flour and breadcrumbs were usualy used as coating but with this recipe, I replaced it with polenta and dried coconut flakes.
- 2 poached salmon cutlet
- 1 potato
- 1 bunch of baby cos
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 bunch of fresh coriander
- Dried coconut flakes
- Boil and mash the potatoes. Gently poach the salmon pieces in seasoned water. (You can choose to use milk or olive oil)
- Roughly cut the salmon into nice chunks. Remember to remove all the bones and the skin.
- Mix salmon, mashed potato, finely chopped coriander and 1 egg together. Season well and allow it to sit in the fridge for at least 30mins to set.
- For the coating, mix coconut flakes and polenta in one bowl and a lightly whipped egg in another
- Roll the salmon and potato mixture into nice size patties, dip into egg and then coat with coconut and polenta
- Shallow fry the patties until they are golden brown
- Serve with baby cos leaves and sweet chilli sauce
I was not sure if the coconut flakes would work but it did. It gave the dish a nice nutty taste and aroma. No seasoning or dressing was required for the baby cos. I used the them as an edible spoon by placing a nice chunk of patty on top, drizzle it with sweet chilli sauce and eat it all at once. This is a definite summer winner for me. I shall be cooking this again for sure.
How do you like to spend your friday nights?