I am not a big fan of white bread and I bought it just for testing out a recipe. That meant that I had almost full loaf white bread leftover and had to use it before it turned moldy. Chucking it away will then be a sin!
This is a adaptation of Roti babi from one of the Nonya recipe books. Roti means bread and babi means pig. It is actually tastes like french toast stuffed with spiced minced pork. So easy to make but satisfying. And again please excuse the photos. We were just playing around with a new camera lens. We got a little experimental and hence we could not use many of the photos taken.
- 250g minced pork
- 4 medium finely diced shallots
- 3tsp of light soya sauce
- 2tsp of grounded coriander seeds
- 1tsp of salt
- 1tsp of white grounded pepper
- 2 tsp of sugar
- White bread
- 2 eggs
- Oil for deep frying
- Marinate the minced pork with soya sauce, sugar, grounded coriander, salt and white pepper
- Heat some oil in a pan and saute finely diced shallots. Add the marinated minced pork and saute till cooked. Add salt or light sauce if neccessary. Taste as you go.
- Slice the bread about 5cm thick. Remove the crust and make a slit to form a pocket
- Stuff the bread with the cooked pork and seal with a little of the beaten egg
- Dip the stuffed bread into the beaten egg and place it gently in hot oil to deep fry
- Drain on paper towel and serve
The dish is really versatile. You can use minced chicken or even grounded beef. Play around with different spices. I kept it quite simple here but it is all up to your imagination and personal preference. I am going to miss this kitchen. It will be last few days and then it will be demolished. But I am sure I will love my new kitchen so much more
What would you do if you have no kitchen to cook for a few weeks?