What do you mean pulled chicken? What is pulled meat? Basically pulled meat means slow cooking protein that can shredded by hand after. Well, that is what I think anyway. Do you agree? What do you think pulled chicken or meat is?
Anyway, whatever it is called, I made pulled chicken in a crockpot. It was a day of cooking and baking. You see, it was Father’s Day and I needed distraction to keep my mind focused and not think of stupid and silly stuff. The Saturday before was really difficult as I read tweets and blogs about Father’s Day. It hit me hard. @mamajeroxie was out at that time and I broke down. I realised that I will never have to call my Dad to wish him Happy Father’s Day. It was tough and so on Sunday, I woke up early and got straight to cooking and keeping the kitchen humming.
I love the look of these cherry tomatoes. They look so good and sweet enough to just eat like a grape. I simply roasted the tomatoes by drizzling olive oil over them and then sprinkle or rather season with salt, pepper and just a touch of smoked paprika. And then into the oven it goes at 200C for around an hour.
Thanks Mardi for the quick and easy recipe.
The initial plan was to make beef burgers but I changed my mind when I got to the farmers market and bought 4 chicken breasts fillets from Milawa instead. And instead of making the very popular pulled pork burger, why not chicken? I kind of adapted one of my previous recipe for BBQ pulled pork and used it for chicken and did everything in one crock pot. With a full day of cooking, adjustments need to be made to achieve everything and not be too overwhelming.
- 4 piece of skinned chicken fillets
- 1 small leek, sliced
- 1 green chilli, sliced
- 1 small carrot, cubed small
- 1tsp of mustard
- 1tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
- 1tbsp of brown sugar
- 2tbsp of chilli jam
- 1tsp of liquid smoke
- 250ml of chicken stock (or enough liquid to cover the meat)
- Toasted seeded buns
- Roasted cherry tomatoes (recipe above)
- Crispy and super fresh lettuce
- Add the chicken, leek, chilli, carrot, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, chilli jam and liquid smoke into the crock pot. And then add the chicken stock and make sure that it covers the chicken pieces
- Put the crock pot on high for about 1,5hrs and then turn down to low and allow it to slow cook for at least another 2.5hrs
- Shred the chicken breasts. It should just pull apart really easily and is still really moist. If not using immediately, put in back into the crockpot with the braising liquid
- When ready, assemble burger as you wish
Warning! Eating this burger will require tissue or paper towel. It is really juicy from the braising liquid. I used some of the pulled chicken in the burger and like the pulled pork, the rest I used for pasta. It is quick, easy and a seriously no brainer delicious chicken burger.
Please VOTE for me.
I am currently one of the finalist for the 2011 Pedestrian Blogster Award. All you have to do is to click on the link or icon.
And then click on ‘LIKE’ under the Jeroxie banner which is the first on the page. Please HELP!