‘Sponsored by Kellogg’s and Nuffnang’
I usually eat loads of vegetables and fruits. However, I tend to skip breakfast on weekdays as therefore am lacking in intake on whole grains or brown rice. I am not even sure if I am lacking in my fibre intake. Therefore, I agreed to take part in this 7 day challenge set by newly launched All Bran Fibre Toppers. The challenge is to have at least one meal a day with All-Bran Fibre Toppers for the next 7 days. Sounds easy? By the way, I am roping my mum in this challenge. I like to know what she thinks after 7 days as well.
I am starting this challenge with a very simple breakfast dish that uses fruits, plain, unsalted nuts, whole grains and topped with All-Bran Fibre Toppers. You can replace the dried pear with sultanas, raisins, dates, apricots or if you have more time, stew fruits. It is really versatile. And even the hazelnuts can be replaced with the nuts of your choice.
This recipes serves up to 6.
- 3 cups of reduced, low or no fat milk
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 1/2 cup of chopped dried pears
- 1/2 cup of plain, unsalted hazel nuts
- 1tbsp of sugarcane sugar
- 3tbsp of All-Bran Fibre Toppers per serving
- Chop up the dried pears into cubes and the half the hazelnuts. Set them aside
- Heat up the milk in a heavy based pot. When it comes to a slow simmer, add the rolled oats, dried pears and hazel nuts
- Lower the heat and stir occasionally to avoid the oats from burning and sticking to the pot. It takes about 30minutes for the oats to be cooked thoroughly
- Allow it to cool slightly and then top withAll-Bran Fibre Toppers. Stir through and eat while warm
When cooking a large portion to keep in the refrigerator, omit the nuts and dried fruits. To heat it up in the microwave, just add a touch of milk plus the toppings and heat it for about 2 minutes. Stir and return it to the microwave for another 30 seconds if required. Cooked oats can be kept in the refrigerator for about a week.
Do you know that the recommended daily intake of fibre for an adult daily is at least 30g? We need that to maintain a relatively healthy digestive system. When increasing in fibre intake, please make sure that fluid intake is increased as well. Or you may get a little uncomfortable. So don’t go too crazy!ow that the average intake of fibre for an adult daily is at least 30g? We need that to maintain a relatively healthy digestive system. But one also has to be careful not to over do or it may cause some discomfort. So don’t go too crazy!
According to the pack, the fibre from All-Bran Fibre Toppers comes from natural wheat bran, oat fibre and psyllium. I remember mum making me drink wheat and psyllium in my warm milk every morning when I was a kid. I used to hate it as it tasted kind of bland. At least with the All-Bran Fibre Toppers, I still get to add yummy flavours to it. I won’t just be adding this to my oatmeal but also to yoghurt and granola in the next 7 days. There will be another simple but yummy recipe in my next post where I will report back about the results.