After so much eating and drinking over the weekend, I was feeling a little drain. So going meatless was welcomed with open arms. The original idea was to make a green risotto as inspired by Citron & Vanille but with the mad rush on the weekend, I forgot to get any spinach. I shall have to leave this to another day.
This is a basic risotto. I always have frozen peas in my freezer. It is like my back-up greens. Sad to say but I will feel quite lost without my bags of peas in my freezer. And I must have my frozen pesto cubes. I usually make big batches of pesto mid autumn and use it through winter and spring till the next batch of basil is in the garden.
I will usually add anchovies in my risotto base but as this is totally meatless, I made used of pesto to give this dish its flavour. I ran out of onions so I used shallots instead.
- 11/2 cup arborio rice
- 2 small carrots, diced
- 1.25 cup of green peas
- 3tbsp pesto
- 1.25l vegetable stock
- 3 medium shallots
- 20g unsalted butter
- 50g Parmesan cheese, grated
- 3/4cup white wine
- Salt & pepper
- Add finely diced shallots into hot heavy base pot and lightly fry till shallots are translucent in colour. Add the risotto and stir for a couple of mins.
- Add the white wine and stir till the rice fully absorbs the wine. Turn the heat down. Add a scoop of stock at a time and stir gently in one direction
- When it is almost al dente, add finely diced boiled carrots and pesto. Continue stirring. Season well
- Add green peas and give it a quick stir till it is cooked
- Turn off the heat and add the butter, give it a good stir
- Grate most of the cheese and give it another good stir. Dish, grate more cheese and serve hot
Sometimes I wish I have more time in the evening to cook during the week. Our dinners are usually very quick and easy. It gets too hard otherwise and we prefer to have home cooked meal than eating out. So if you know any quick and easy meal, please let me know.
And my 2 other constant companions on this journey:
** Click here for a chance to Win 1 out of 5 tubs of Chocolate Fudge Brownie ****
What is your favourite quick and easy meal. Please share!