I had a couple of ideas and was looking forward to creating this dish I had in my head. But Mister was having a little trouble with his wisdom tooth so this mystery recipe will have to wait. The skies have finally opened on Monday and started pouring. So it seems to be a good opportunity to make congee for dinner.
I had leftover rice from previous night so all I had to do was to simmer it with water. Just keep adding water till the rice ‘breaks’ slightly. And if you like the congee thick, just add enough of water. It really depends on your preference. But what is special about this congee is that I added spices to it.
- 2 cups of cooked rice
- 5 star anaise
- 5 whole cloves
- A small grating of fresh turmeric
- 2 medium size carrots
- 3 tsp of light soy sauce
- Salt and white pepper (seasoning)
I love the vibrant colour that the tumeric has given to this dish.
Zuchinni and egg
- 2 zucchini
- 4 eggs
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 red chillies
- 3tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp black vinegar
- 1 tsp of shaoxing wine
- 1/2tsp of brown sugar
- Simmer rice with water with star anise, cloves and carrots. Grate the turmeric and light soy sauce into the pot when the congee is almost ready to be served. Seasoning according to taste
- Saute the garlic and red chillies till the garlic is lightly browned. Add the thinly sliced zucchini into the hot pan
- Add the light soy sauce, black vinegar, shaoxing wine and brown sugar and cook till the zucchini is al dente. Add the lightly whisked eggs into the mixture.
- Allow the egg mixture to sit for awhile and start turning it and mixing it with the zucchini
- Plate up once the eggs are all cooked and coated with the zucchini
This summer weather is really crazy. I had to wear gloves to work in summer. And some colleagues came in with big puffy jackets. This was a photo taken while waiting for the tram on the way to work.
I gave myself a few challenges this year and one of them is project 365 | food bloggers. This is one of the many photos that I have uploaded on a daily basis. It isn’t as easy as I thought it would be. Feel free to check my project 365.
How can I motivate myself to take a photo a day for the rest of the year?