With all the over indulgence during the last couple of weeks, all I wanted this week was to have more vegetables in my diet. So over the weekend, I roasted a big batch of vegetables that I had with either fish or lamb during the week. It was just with oven roasted sea salt, black pepper and a good dose of olive oil.
And look what I found? Yellow Zucchinis! Don’t they look super bright and cheery?
These roasted vegetables could be used for mid week pasta. Just add a dollop of pesto or just good olive oil and it is a meal itself.
I have been battling with cough and cold this week. I have lost my sense of taste and just want to go under my doona and sleep my sickness away. So I do apologise for my very simple contribution to this week’s meatless day challenge.
The star of this challenge is Smoked tofu. I bought this at Victoria market (Tofu Trek) over the weekend. It is quite firm and I wonder if I can get soft tofu? The smokiness was rather light and so did not overpower the tofu flavour and actually complimented it and had a slight hint of sweetness.
- 180g udon noodles
- 1 block of smoked tofu, sliced thinly
- 8 quail eggs
- 2 packets of instant dashi
- 150g of sugar snap peas
- Boil a pot of salted water. Blanch sugar snap peas for 2 mins and remove from heat. Set aside. Add whole quail eggs and cook it for a couple of minutes. Place in cold water so that it is easy to remove the shell from the eggs later
- Cook udon noodle to al dente in fresh pot of boiling water. Add a packet of dashi in each bowl. Pour boiling water and stir well
- Blanch thinly sliced tofu in simmering hot water for about 10secs. Remove and set aside
- Add udon noodles in the dashi bowl. Place the tofu on top with snap peas and quail eggs. Snip some chives and serve hot
It was a very light soupy dish. Exactly what I needed for my cough and cold. It worked really well together. It would be great if I didn’t have to use instant Dashi but in times of ‘crisis’, I just have to make do. It did say no perservatives and addictives. Did make me feel slightly better. This may become my alternative to a instant noodles that I do crave occassionally!
What is your favourite comfort food when you are feeling a little under the weather?