Very little thinking needs to be done this week. I have a bag of chestnuts at home and so chestnut soup it shall be. It was perfect weather for a nice, thick and wholesome soup that is satisfying. Aside from chestnuts being super yummy, they score pretty high on the nutrients front as well. I am definitely not a health freak but I do like to like to feel that I am eating the right foods and taking care of my body.
- 500g of chestnuts
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small potato, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
- 500ml of vegetable stock
- 500ml of milk
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Olive oil and salt
- To remove the chestnut from the shell, I used the microwave. Make a silt below the chestnut and only at a handful at a time, chuck them in the microwave for about 21/2 minutes on high. Remove the chestnut while it is hot or else it gets harder once it cools off
- Heat the oil and sweat the onions and garlic till soft. Add the carrots and potato. Add the chestnut after 30sec
- Add the vegetable stock and allow it to simmer for at least 20mins
- Add the milk and bring it up to a slow boil. Do not over boil!
- Taste and season accordingly. Blend to a nice, smooth soup
- Serve hot with grated nutmeg
No bread is required with this soup. It is creamy, rich, nutty and being the greedy self, I ate the half of my lunch portion! To make a lighter version of this, replace milk with stock.I doubt it needs the milk as chestnut is quite starchy by itself. Nonetheless, it was definitely spoon licking!
Do you have any other delicious chestnut recipe to share?