What is kuih haut? Translation from Hokkien, kuih means cake and haut means to prosper. Kuih haut is a Malaysian style cupcake and it is a very Nyonya type cake or kuih/ kueh. My grandmother used to make loads of these when I was younger. Many of kuih haut ended up as offerings to the various Chinese Gods that she used to worship. She used to make the standard ones for the Chinese Gods and then coloured ones for me!
Grandma used to tell me that one should respect all religions and she really embraced them all! When she prayed to all these Gods, it was always about all her kids, grandchildren and nothing for herself. For her, if the kids and grandchildren are well, then she was well and she was happy. It’s the same deal with my parents. They never want me upset and sometimes, they hide things like the the state of their health from me. Or they speak lightly of it.
It is not easy being away from home and not knowing. After so long, I am beginning to miss home. So who knows what will happen. There will be a day that I want to go home. For now, I can have a bite of this kuih huat and reminisce untroubled and carefree times when I was a kid.
No responsibility. No fear. No guilt.
For the month of March, it seems that we do have a birthday girl amongst us! Happy Birthday Brie (Le Grand Fromage). If it is your birthday month, please let me know. Your post will be showcased on the round up![print_this]
- 225g of plain flour
- 2tsp of baking powder
- 190g of palm sugar
- 150 of coconut milk with 50ml of water
- 1 egg
- Sift plain flour and baking powder together. Set aside
- Boil the sugar with half the coconut mixture until all the sugar dissolve. Sieve and allow it to cool down
- Whisk egg and other half of the coconut mixture. Add the sugar and coconut mixture. Mix and then add the flour. Stir until all combined and try and get rid of the lumps as much as possible
- Pour the mixture into the moulds, filling up to 3/4. Steam over high heat until cooked. The length of time depends on the size of the moulds. 3inch ramekin may take up to 20mins and smaller ones can take up from 10 – 15mins. Use a wooden skewer to test. If the skewer comes out clean, then it is ready
I love to hear what does nostalgia mean to you. Please share
I wonder what the rest is up to? Click on the thumbnails below to find out!