Who doesn’t love Pho? But Vietnamese food is beyond Pho and through this monthly event started by A food lover’s journey and Ravenous Couple, it gives me the opportunity to explore more into the Vietnamese cuisine and its culture.
I had no plan and what I bought from the market was a little random as you can see. And what I have also included in the mix is the smoked duck that we bought from Bruny’s Island. It isn’t exactly Vietnamese but looking at the expiry date, it will have to do. I will suggest getting roast duck instead of using smoked duck. Including in the mix were fish floss and crispy rice cakes that I did not use. Shall leave it for another time. I have other ideas for it.
Please ignore the carrot, cucumber, chilli mixture and tofu beancurd skin. I made a vegetarian version for my weekly meatless and will appear in another post. And to be honest, I preferred the vegetarian version. Promise to share later in the week. Duck first!
- 1 piece of smoked duck thigh, sliced and cut into strips
- 1 green apple, skinned, cored and julienned
- A bunch of coriander
- Rice paper
- 50g of mung bean noodles
- 4 tbsp of hoisin sauce
- 2tbsp of peanut paste/butter
- Mix the hoisin sauce and peanut paste or peanut butter. This can be used as a dipping sauce as well and the seasoning
- Boil mung bean noodle in rolling hot water. Drain and set it aside
- Soak the rice paper in warm water to allow it to soften. Place it on a clean cloth and start stacking
- Spoon 1 tsp of hoisin and peanut mixture and thinly spread the middle of the rice paper. Add the mung bean noodles, then the duck strips and followed by the apple and topped with fresh coriander. Roll and continue till ingredients run out
I made so many different combinations with all the ingredients that I had. There is hardly any cooking in this dish. It is very refreshing, healthy and easy dish to create. And it always works a treat during house parties.
Please check out what the rest of the fellow bloggers wrote and created:
- Bo La Lot (Beef in Betel Leaf) by Cynthia from Kitchen Slave, Vancouver, BC Canada
- Steamed vegetable rolls by Gattina from Kitchen Unplugged, Barcelona, Spain
- Juicy rice paper pork rolls by Radha from The Dancing Kitchen, Hongkong
- Banh my thit (pork rolls) by Amy from Cookbook Maniac, Sydney, Australia
- Nem Nuong (Vietnamese grilled pork skewer) by Yen from Food for Four, Sydney, Australia
- Vietnamese Chicken Cabbage Salad (Goi Ga Bap Cai) on Sesame Rice Cracker (Banh Trang Me) by TS and JS, Eating Club Vancouver, Canada
- Shaking beef (Bo Luc Lac) a` la ‘Slanted Door’ by Lauren Trinh from Besides Pho, California, USA
- Mochi Dumpling in Ginger Sauce (Che Xoi Nuoc) by Hong & Kim, from Ravenous Couple, Los Angeles/ Arizona
- Vietnamese grilled pork chops, Suong Nuong by Christine from Kits Chow, Vancouver, Canada
- “On Vietnamese Food” by Gretchen from Culinaria Libris, Greater London (Kent), England
- Dreaming of pho – Food writing by Tammy from La Vie Cevenole, France
- Vietnam on a plate – review of a cuisine tour by ms Baklover from Foodscray Food Blog, Melbourne, Australia
- Thoughts on a basic home-cooked Vietnamese meal by Thy Thy from Cooking Practice, Italy
- Vietnamese cookbooks review – Anh from A food lover’s journey, Melbourne, Australia
- Pikelet and Pie – food blog of an Aussie now living in Hanoi