This is a personal favourite dish of mine. Pork belly is usually used but lately, I have an obsession and addiction with pork neck and pock hock. Many uses pork neck for making char siew but I’ve decided to slow cook the pork neck by using my new toy, the 6 – in 1 multi-cooker, sponsored by Kitchenware Direct. With the hectic lifestyle after moving up to Sydney, this will definitely make my life so much easier. I will also be able to declutter some of my appliances like the rice cooker, pressure cooker and old slow cooker. Win on all levels!
This awesome 6-in-1 multi cooker from Kitchenware Direct is a pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, soup pot, deep fryer and electric pan all in one. It not only saves kitchen space but washing up.
For this post, I used 2 functions – saute/brown and slow cooking. I made a little video but actually screwed up one of the cuts. The video will show you how easy it is to use this multi cooker and how it cuts back on washing another utensil.
For this recipe, I’ve used 2 functions – saute/brown and slow cooking. It is so easy to use and clean up.
- 950g of pork neck, cut into big chucks
- 2 tbsp of dark soy sauce
- 1tbsp of thick caramel sauce
- 1tbsp of light soy sauce
- 1tbsp of dark vinegar
- 8 red dried chillies
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 star anise
- white pepper
- 400ml of water
- Add the thick caramel sauce, light soy sauce, dark vinegar and dark sauce into the removable non stick pot. Use the saute/brown function and set the timer. I set it for 7 minutes but this can be cancelled anytime
- Allow the mixture to bubble a little and add the cut up pork neck. Coat the pork neck with all the liquid gold and allow it to simmer for a minute. Must watch it and stir to avoid burning the sticky mixture
- Then add the cinnamon, star anise, dried chillies and white pepper to the coated pork neck Stir through and simmer another minute. Add a touch of water at this point
- Add the rest of the water, change the function of the cooker to slow cooker and set the timer to 4 hours
- I checked after 3 hours and it was ready but it cook up to 4 hours without any issues.
This dish is just awesome. The pork neck is so tender that it did not need any pressure to break it apart. The sticky sauce was a nice balance of sweet and salty. Just have this with a bowl of rice and lightly saute green vegetables.
This multi cooker is currently on sale on the Kitchenware Direct website. For those that lead a crazy and hectic lifestyle, this is for you. It’s a one pot wonder. There is no need to saute or brown meat in a separate pan. Just use the same pot and then turn on the slow cook function. Dead easy.