This humble condiment deserves a post on its own. It is very easy to make and can be served with so many of the dishes. Stir-frys, congee, soups, you name it. It adds texture and a certain depth to the dishes.
Please remember to sharpen your knife before you slice the shallots or be prepared for tears!
- 6 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 – 2 tbsp of flour (depending on size of the shallots)
- Oil for deep frying
- Flour the thinly sliced shallots. Deep fry them in smaller batches to avoid clumping.
- Remove from the hot oil once it turns a dark brown colour
- Drain them on paper towel and sprinkle salt while it is still warm
You can always make a big batch and store it in an air-tight container. And it can be quite addictive eaten on its own and is it just me?!
** Do you know of any other condiments that makes a difference to dishes? Please do share!**