Whether you like it or not, Bill Granger is one of Australia’s famous culinary export. I had brunch at Bill’s in my first visit to Sydney and really enjoyed the ricotta pancake.He was actually sitting next to me and I said NOTHING. I will probably never bump into him again as he is busy promoting Australian cafe culture around the world. You will be able to read this article – Exporting Sydney’s cafe culture on the Australian Unlimited.
The Australian Unlimited is a FREE monthly iPad magazine produced by the Australian Trade Commission which uses engaging content combined with stunning imagery and multimedia to tell the stories of Australians changing the world for the better – through their creativity, business acumen, research and humanitarian efforts. For those that do not have the iPad, there is a website www.australiaunlimited.com and/or follow Australia Unlimited on Twitter @AusUnlimited.
As much as I love to read about our culinary exports like Luke Mangan, Tetsuya, Matthew McCool and many more, there are many other articles in this magazine that showcases our many Australian talents all over the world.
To celebrate the launch of the new Australian Unlimited iPad app, I have 2 of Bill Granger’s Bills Basic cookbook to giveaway! Below is a recipe that I made from the cookbook. It is a luxurious Chocolate mousse cake! It is absolutely delicious. Both Mister and @mamajeroxie went for seconds and thirds. It is a must try recipe.
The smaller ones takes approximately 25mins. Just use a wooden skewer to check to be sure!
- 150g of dark chocolate
- 150g of unsalted butter
- 150g of castor sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 200g of dark chocolate
- 30 of unsalted butter
- 3 eggs, separated
- 300ml of cream, whipped
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and line a 24cm springform cake tin. (I used a 18cm and 8 cardboard cupcake wrappers)
- Put the chocolate and butter into a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature before adding the egg
- Whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until you reach soft peaks. Use half the sugar and put in one tablespoon at a time and continue whisking until the mixture is glossy and stiff
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks with the other half of the sugar until pale and increase in volume. Carefully stir into the melted chocolate and then fold gently throughout the egg whites with a large metal spoon.
- Scoop into the tin and bake for about 40 – 45mins. I shall suggest check after 35 minutes with a wooden skewers. Just poke it in the middle and make sure it comes out clean
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin. The cake will sink a little. Turn out of the tin
- For the mousse, melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pan as before and leave to cool. Whisk the egg whites in a clean dry bowl until soft peaks. Beat the egg yolks into the cooled chocolate. It should come up from the sides. Fold in the cream and egg whites into two batches. Spread over the cooled cakes and refrigerate until set
- You can serve as it is or grate dark chocolate
Giveaway: All you have to do is to answer the following question – Who will you nominate as an Australian success story overseas for a cover story?
- This is open to Australian residents only with a valid Australian address
- You can enter by either using your Facebook account or name and email address
- You will receive one entry for each of the task completed below. You may choose to leave a comment on this blog everyday for an extra point.
- To enter, select the entry option and click on the +1 Do It button next to it and follow the entry instructions and record your entry. You will have to do this every time you enter the giveaway.