Absent minded. Crazy. You can call me what you like. How could I forget to post this super awesome recipe from cake extraordinaire @MrsInferno? I was browsing through photos and discovered this gold. It did take me awhile to bake this recipe which she tweeted about. And I finally baked it, I thought…. what took me so long. It is one of the best chocolate coffee cake ever. And best of all, simple and no fuss recipe. Perfect!
There is always chocolate in my pantry. And so is butter and more chocolate. I am sure that you will be able to find most baked goods are chocolate base on this blog. And I love coffee. This is the perfect cake for me.
I was toying between using 85% and 70% but went with 70%.
If you love chocolate and coffee, then this is for you. But you choose not to add the coffee as well.
I did not have a 22cm baking tin as suggested and used a 20cm instead.
- 200g good eating or cooking chocolate (the aldi cooking chocolate is really good)
- 250g butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup esspresso (or for non coffee just use water)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (pressed down but not packed)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 cup SR flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- Put choc, butter, water and coffee into a saucepan and simmer until all melted, stir regularly. Once combined pour into a large bowl and let cool until warm, about skin temp. Not too cold but not hot enough to scramble the eggs
- Add sugars and combine well
- Add eggs and combine, it will go lovely and glossy
- Add flour and almond meal and mix until all the flour is combined
- Pour into a greased lined tin (I use a springform and just line the base) and bake in a 170deg oven for around 35 mins. Check with a skewer, if it comes out clean its done
- Let cool in the tin, it will shrink a bit and pull away from the sides
- When cool, cut a slice, microwave for 10-15 seconds and serve with cream, ice cream, marscapone, whatever you want really!!
This recipe is a keeper. So simple but every mouthful takes you to chocolate heaven. My colleagues and Mister love them and who wouldn’t right?