Noodle Party Invite!
An invitation to a Noodle Party! Christine and the Big Scary Kitchen, Fried Wontons 4 U and Momofuku for 2 are having a virtual noodle party. We’re all going to make our own take on a noodle dish and post them up at the same time. If you are following on twitter, search for hashtag #noodleparty.
What: We’re all making noodle dishes using dangmyeong, Korean sweet potato glass noodles.
When: Noodle Party posts are going up on March 29th.
Where: Your blog, our blogs. Your twitter, whatever you got.
Why: So we can all dance the noodle dance together! People who join the party will get a Noodle Party badge for their site and of course, as always, everlasting fame!
I was really glad to be invited to this noodle party by @friedwontons4U and @momofukufor2. It was almost a no go for me as I had too much backlog of posts and own errands to do over the weekend. But I manage to squeeze this in. A girl still needs to feed her man. And to clear any confusion, dangmyeong is a type of glass noodle made from sweet potato starch and it is a very popular noodle used in Korean Cuisine.
Found this at one of the Footscray Asian grocer.
And the other reason was I wanted to show off this my new thermal cooker that Mister’s parents have bought for us and flew it in with them all the way from Malaysia. I searched the web and found Tiger Cooker 8 L Thermal Magic and it also comes in a 6 Liter . It does not over cook and also it saves on gas and on electricity. And the other reason is that it is very safe to use. I can go leave the house and run my own errands and not be worried about it.
I bought this piece of beautiful short ribs from the Farmers market at Abbortsford Convent and of course, from Warialda Beef. One of the best beef that I have ever tasted and it has never failed me. This piece of meat makes me feel very caveman.
Thanks to @tammois for these lovely szechuan peppercorns. So aromatic and addictive.
- 1.2kg of beef short ribs
- 500g sweet potato noodles/dangmyeong
- 2tsp of szechuan peppercorns
- 2tsp of salt
- 2tsp of chilli powder
- 2tbsp dark soya sauce
- 3tbsp of light soya sauce
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 6 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 bunch of tuscan cabbage, chopped
- 500g carrots, chopped
- 600g daikon, chopped
- 2 litres of water/ stock if any
- Salt for seasoning
- Ground up the szechuan pepper with salt and chilli powder. Set aside
- Make big cuts into the short ribs. Render it in a heavy bottom pan for about 10mins or until the ribs are totally browned
- Remove the ribs and set it aside. Use the rendered fats to cook the onions and garlic. When the onions are soft, add the ground spices. Stir it through and add the ribs and sealed in all the spices
- Using a pot: Add the stock/water, cinnamon sticks, dark and light soya sauce and allow it to simmer over very low heat for 3-4hrs or until meat falls off the bone. In the last hour, add the vegetables and allow it simmer at low heat. Season accordingly
- Thermal cooker (like mine): pour the ribs, seasoning, cinnamon sticks, light & dark soy sauce and stock into the thermal cooker and allow it to slow cook for the next 4-6 hrs. In the last 2 hours, add all the chopped vegetables, boil it up again and chuck it back into the pot. Season accordingly
- Cook the dangmyeong in boiling water according to the instructions at the back of the pack. Drain and set aside
- Remove the short ribs and pull them apart into smaller chucks
- Add some noodles into a bowl, scoop the soup, add the beef chucks and sprinkle some dried chilli flakes
This is not a dish for the faint hearted. It is definitely very rich, hearty and needs to be eaten with care. The szechuan pepper did come through in this dish. I did feel slight numbness on my tongue when slurping on the hot broth. Mister and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Thanks again to @friedwontons4U, @momofukufor2 and @bigscarykitchen for this virtual noodle party. I will be looking forward to the next #noodleparty
Also check out what the others did…. all so yummy!
- Momofuku for 2
- Fried Wontons for You
- Noodle Fever
- Big Scary Kitchen
- Lovely Lanvin (She did it on twitter! Follow here for her steps: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 )
How would you cook dangmyeong with?