If you love something sweet, easy and pleasurable, this is one recipe you should have in your back pocket. It only requires 4 ingredients and I can say that it is a crowd pleaser during parties. I made these for Mister’s birthday party and I really hope that friends were telling me the truth when they said they like it. I guess the evidence was the empty plate So all you need is 4 ingredients! You can make this ahead of time and just keep them in a airtight container for a couple of days at least.
This recipe is taken from Ottolenghi – The Cookbook
- 260g of flaked almonds
- 100g of icing sugar, sifted
- 2 eggwhites
- Zest of one orange
- Preheat oven to 150C. Line a baking tray with baking paper and just brush lightly with vegetable oil. Have a small bowl of cold water
- Put the egg whites, icing sugar, flaked almonds and orange zest in a bowl and gently mix them together. Dip your hand in the water and then pick up portions of the mix to make little moulds on the lined tray. Must be well spaced. Dip the fork in the water and flatten the mould so that it is flat and thin. Make sure not too create too many gaps in between the almond flakes
- Bake for about 12-15mins or until the biscuits are brown. Check underneath one of the biscuits to make sure they are cooked through
- Allow to cool, then remove the biscuits gently from the tray
What else can you use this for? You can even crumble it on top of breakfast yogurt or ice cream for that extra crunch and sweetness. This is so simple to make and you can change the flavour by replacing the orange zest with lemon or adding vanilla extract. Simple is always best when done well.
Do you have a favourite go to party pleaser?