You might ask – “What the hell if wrong with you, girl?” First the pig ears and now a tongue that belongs to an ox? That was indeed a weekend of odd animal parts. Born and raised in Asia, I was brought up to love offals. Grandma used to make pig brains soup for me as I was a very sick kid and she believed that it will make me feel better and grow stronger. I was also fed liver soup 4 times a week. And there are memories of her cooking Chinese medicine with sometimes weird animal body parts for the family. I can vividly recall the medicinal bitterness of the soup. What candy? No way! Grandma never believed in that. I am having a quiet chuckle to myself, thinking of all the screwed up faces of my dad, mum, uncles and aunties. There’s an old saying “the more bitter the medicine, the better it is for you.”
Don’t be put off by the look of this ox tongue. It isn’t slimy and really easy to handle.
I also choose this weekend to “spring clean” my pantry cupboard. I only managed to clean and packed 2 shelves. So many spices and goodies that I totally forgotten about. I have written them all down and will be referring to the list before buying any new spices or condiments.
And I have so many different types of noodles! I have since got rid of them by eating them of course! And also the different types of noodles and rice and flour and salt …. I need to stop buying anymore stuff… seriously. Every time I try a new recipe, I end up getting a new ingredient or something. Sometimes new equipment! Or it will be impulse purchase. Need to STOP! Do you have this problem? I need therapy.
Cooking offal usually time consuming but the outcome is always amazing when done well.
- 1 ox tongue
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 small carrots
- 10-15 black pepper corns
- coriander stalks
- Liquid gold or use this stock – check out my pig ears recipe
- 1 star anise
- 2 cardamon
- Place whole tongue into slow cooker with celery stalks, carrots, coriander stalks and black pepper. Put the first hour to HIGH and then low for the next 3-4 hours
- Remove the tongue and allow it to cool down. Remove the skin and tough muscles (if any). I sliced some thinly. Some I pan fried with just butter and the other, I marinated it with teriyaki sauce and then quickly pan fried them
- Slice the rest in big pieces. Fill the slow cooker with the leftover stock or you can make fresh ones. Add the chunks in with the star anise and cardamon and allow it to slow cook on LOW for another 4-5 hours
- Serve with steamed rice and a simple Chinese stir fry vegetables or salted mustard greens
Marinating the tongue in teriyaki sauce.
Tongue cooked in butter only. Next time, I will just chuck in under a hot grill. Need some kind of sauce.
And then our favourite of the lot. Slow cooking this again in leftover broth from the pig ears’. Amazing flavour. Very deep, complex, aromatic and sticky rich. It is melt in the mouth. Not much chewing is required.
I know that some of you may find this a little out of your comfort zone but it just tastes like beef. Very soft, tender, melt in your mouth beef. Get over the thought that you need to prep a tongue. Take it as a piece of meat. It’s just like gutting a fish. Once you’ve done it once, there is no big deal about it.
Are you an offal lover like me? If so, what is your favourite part of the animal?